Sunday, July 17, 2005

At It Again

A friend dropped by on Friday, and the first words out of my mouth were, basically, a justification as to why my house was in a mess and I was playing on my PS2 instead of doing something useful.

I mean, don't I learn?

Again, I realised MUCH later what I was doing.

Apart from the fact that my house, actually, wasn't in that much of a mess, all things considered (ie, clean but untidy... and all of the "untidy" was due to the fact that I had a 3 year-old on a rampage that day, and after spending the moring picking up after it, I relaised it was a pointless exercise--it could wait until that night when he went to his father's). Basically, my 3rd son had left his clothes on the floor of his room, and there were Mister 3 yo's toys on the floor of the lounge (he was using them) and a pile of formerly folded clothes on the floor of my room which I had decided could wait until later, the house was OK. Oh, and there was some washing up to do, like, 3 plates and a saucepan or something.

Point is, said friend is not an exemplary housekeeper either (sorry, Scott, but it's true), and that's never bothered me when I've popped by there.

So I'm still reacting to my ex. Sigh. Thought I was done with that. Lizard brain -- ain't it fun? I spent so much time having to explain everything I did, from whether I wanted to go somewhere or whether the house was messy or what-have-you to whether I wanted to study or see a friend or blahblah taht it's a habit now.

So, notice to any friends and family who feel like coming past (yes, Nicky, I know what you're going to say :-P):

1. Pop by whenever you like. I may feed you, I may not. Depends on what's in the house. The house is OPEN.

2. The house may, or may not, be in a mess, depending on what sort of week I've had. Or whether I just feel like a day off (likely, not. Actually, only if Scott's decided to come by. Then you can bet your bottom dollar I've decided to do frumpy ;-) ). I have many children. I write, or would like to, more often. This means something has to give. This means my kitchen floor may need to be mopped. This means I may not vacuum every day (although with 6 kids you need to). I will not be explaining myself. Don't worry, though, I will not be breeding salmonella or e. coli.

3. I have children. Get over it. :-P

4. In that note, the kids will talk your ear off for a while. They get excited when people drop by. The 3 yo hasn't learnt how to stop talking when he should, yet. But the more he sees people, the less excited he'll be and the more "who cares?" he'll be. Then he'll go and do his own thing. He has also learned push-ups. Ha ha.

5. I will remind myself of the fact that I don't need to defend myself 100% of the bloody day. Kick me if I forget. Gently.

Yes, the above was more for my benefit than yours. I already know you know. (See, Nicky? :-P)

But enough about my crap.

When Sean Williams was down to tutor for Clarion, he forced us all to watch a Bill Bailey DVD. Yes, Sean is cruel, mean and.... nah, kidding. That man is funny. (I mean Bill, not Sean... although Sean is also funny, in a Sean sort of way and... you know what I mean). Anyhows.... I finally got around to watching the first disc in season one of Black Books (which, for anyone who doesn't know, Bill Bailey is in). Oh My Great Aunt Laura I was very hugely amused for a very long time.

Good one, Sean.

Oh, and for anyone who doesn't already know, Sean is our Australian Guest of Honour for the 2006 SF NatCon, ConJure, to be held in Brisbane, for which I am the overall programming director, in concert with Cory Daniells (panels), Rob Hoge (short story com and readings) and Rob Dobson (movies). So we want your suggestions, for this is YOUR con! Pop over to the website and email me your questions, comments and desires.

Umm, that would be those relating to the Con, of course. ;-)

Er. Bye. I am going to go and finish the washing, and I think I'll play on the PS2. All day. HA.

(You may notice that I'm doing the washing, too. This avoids the guilt thing.... *blush*)

Oh, side note, for those who are keeping track (hi dad!), I am now at a quarter of the weight I need to lose, off. Wait, that didn't make sense. I mean, I've lost a quarter of the excess I need to lose. 9 kilos down, 28-odd to go. I celebrated by going out and indulging in Baskin's (kidding! hehe hee). And that was without actually trying. Wonder what'll happen if I make an actual effort. :-)

2 Comments:

At 4:16 pm, Blogger Nicky Strickland said...

I'm gonna say nothing except well :P and perhaps (hey it's me *lol* what else) that "rome took more than one flippin day to build and many years to come back down again" <-- my take on it all. Ok now I say nothing except :P

Yay for you on weight - which I will not discuss mine cause I'm too depressed at what the pills have done to me (confirmed it by accident dumb me *lol*).

Ummmmmm there was another thing......OH yeah - I like the term HOUSEWORK CHALLENGED!!! Your idea of messy/untidy and mine see above note *lol*. (& I still have days of justification over the issue 6 years later :O )

Ok going to go rest now *muttering about dumb body requirements*

 
At 8:18 am, Blogger Heather said...

Hehe hee. Oh, and thanks for dropping by!

:-D

Given that it was medication that sent me into the unwieldy figures on my, er, figure, I can relate.

Hang in there. xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home