Friday, August 05, 2005

The Island

What an amazing film. Maybe it was the company, but I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Interesting moral dillemma, which I liked a lot, mostly because it agreed with my own ideas of cloning and develop-your-own-market organ harvesting dangers and the concept of life in and ex utero. The science was faulty, afaik, but that didn't detract, for me. I really liked the character development, as well, and MacGregor and Johannsen, as well as Sean Bean (almost called him Mr Bean there, but that would be... wrong), gave sterling performances. Even the "bit parts" had quality actors.

Action fast-paced and it was sometimes difficult to watch, emotionally and because of the movement of the camera during the action (hint: don't sit too close to the screen, be well back or the whole feeling makes you go cross-eyed. We were back about a third of the way. We should have sat at least another 2 rows back). The other thing I found was that there was some "in the air" action that had our heroes on the side of a very tall building, and I have physical vertigo and bookshelf syndrome, so and every time the camera either moved with the action or panned to the ground far... far... far... below, I felt like I was falling myself. Hey, I have the same problem when I'm on a ladder, so that's not a criticism, but if you have physical middle ear problems that affect your balance, well... sit further back LOL.

The previews were interesting, as well, mostly because I saw, for the first time, the previews of both Narnia and Serendipity. They both look like they'll be excellent films, looking forward to seeing them. Narnia, in particular, has moved away from the puppet-based Aslan and into the CGI realm a la LOTR. Should be good.

Serendipity is the film that Joss Whedon's made to tie up the loose ends left behind by the premature axing of his series Firefly. If you haven't seen Firefly, well, why not? It was frustrating, there were so many storylines left unfinished. Almost as frustrating as the rushed and pointless ending of Season 5 of Angel due to the same network myopia. Hoi, that sucked great chunky chips.

I like the name, Serendipity. But then, I like serendipity. Hello, genealogist. *grin*

Meanwhile, it was great to catch up with my friend. We're keeping in touch (as in, actually keeping in touch, not that vague "we should make sure we keep in touch" way you often have at ten year high school reunions that you never actually do because you forget or couldn't be bothered. I known this is true, for 3 SMS's from him from the airport already this morning). Just when I thought my long distance phone calls were reduced to almost zero... oh well. Can't complain. hehe.

I'm doing a lot of tying up of loose ends myself lately, life-wise, between events and bumping into old boyfriends. One of the advantages, or disadvantages, of going through a life-changing event (like a divorce, or moving house, or, say, both) is that you (or me, at least) tend to dissect your life. I've discovered a few regrets that, surprisingly, have no bearing on the divorce or my marriage, etc, but were decisions I made way back when I was 17 (yikes. Half my life ago) that completely changed the course of my life. That's not to say I actually regret my life, because I don't. And, while fun to play "what if", that's not what I'm doing, either. I have an overwhelming need to go and apologise to people who've probably forgotten who I am. *grin* It's a lesson I've to learn. Should be fun.

Bring it on.

Hang on. I take that back. The last time I said that, the universe had some fun with me. At least, I hope it had fun. Someone should have fun, and it wasn't me. ;-)

3 Comments:

At 8:58 am, Blogger Nicky Strickland said...

Oh deary deary deary - you're tied up with serendipitous actions so I'll let you off the hook...just this once.

Almighty Joss' movie is 'Serenity' so named after the Firefly class boat that captain Mal has :P

Not that I'd know anything about almighty Joss or anything nor would I be holding b/friends hostage for not getting up to the minute trailers as they release in the US or anything like that.

Oh and btw it comes out Sept 30 *lol* :)

I'm going to go and behave now :)

 
At 8:59 am, Blogger Nicky Strickland said...

Second comment is glad you had a good time and the movie was enjoyable - I have it on the 'will get around to seeing it on DVD one year' (ie no urgency there huh)

 
At 9:16 am, Blogger Heather said...

Sigh.

I want my brain back. Well, at least I got the "seren..." part right.

First Marsden then Serendipity. I may just explode now.

The worst part is... I knew that. I'm thinking... early alzheimers?

Brain implosion?

Nah. Void moon and Mercury in retrograde. I'll blame that. That is good. See, I have no control over that.

And you. Behave?????

Nah. :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home