Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Well, the world does run on ads...

I always find it amusing when I'm googling for something (er, no sniggering allowed Nicky :-P), how they have their little sponsor box on the right side of the results page?

I was googling Cyrano de Bergerac and apparently, there is a "Huge selection, great deals on Cyrano De Bergerac. Aff eBay.com.au".

I'm thinking, the man died in Paris, 28 July 1655 at age 36 when a beam fell on his head (research pays, you know), he's probably a wee bit past his prime. And I'm reasonably sure there's a huge selection of one (Gerard Depardieu, Steve Martin and David Wenham--who played De Bergerac in an Australian production of Rostand's play--notwithstanding).

Oh, btw, the Rostand play was wrong. Apparently, apart from the time spent in the army (even though he was opposed to the war of the time, whatever that was) Hercule Savinien Cyrano de Bergerac was a serious writer of pilosophical romances and a virile lover. And quite a writer of political satire disguised as speculative fiction, if the quotes I've read are accurate.

(BTW: Anyone who can track down a copy of Bergerac's Histoire Comique for me in French or English, will have my undying gratitude or a big fat kiss, whatever the preference).

A quote from De Bergerac:

A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

:-D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home