Thursday, March 24, 2005

Hey Liz

Thought you may like this, from Cainer today:

Aries: As the Moon now grows full in your opposite sign, you are becoming increasingly uncomfortable about an important relationship. It doesn't seem to be going the way you think it ought to be going. The other person isn't doing whatever you feel they really should be doing. Conversations seem to be going round in circles if, or when, they are happening at all. Try to be patient. Try not to judge. Things will improve sooner than you think.

:-)

And speaking of Arians, I hope one I know keeps his beard. While I am only fond of beards on some people (others need to learn some basic hygiene before bothering), this one makes you look very distinguished. I know it's coming off soon, but it's trés cute. :-D Of course, chances are he doesn't read this, but anyhow... ;-)

Saw an interesting film last night, but I can't remember the name of it. Something to do with Steve Zissou, about a man who does marine documentaries who loses a friend to a huge jaguar shark and determines that he must dynamite it to death. It had an ensemble cast: Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, Owen Wilson, Angelica Houston, others. It's not a take-off of Jacques Cousteu, exactly, but it's more amusing in parts if you're familiar with Jacques' work. Hearing David Bowie songs in Portuguese very educational, too.

Dinner was funny. there was this waiter, who was the slowest and the fastest waiter on the planet (as the person with me commented dryly). He was Yurtle the Turtle with taking orders and I'm pretty sure he actually raised and killed the chicken used in the chicken caesar salad, but once he was actually at the table, in "talkie" mode, he morphed into Speedy Gonzales. "And that'll be a caesar and.... ok, not thirsty" LOL. Funny. :-D

Needless to say, I didn't leave a tip (dinner was my shout. Friend paid for movie, thankyou, friend. :-) ). Actually, tipping is not something we do in Australia (waiting staff earn a living wage without them) but I think we should start to introduce an almost US-system where wages are frozen as they are and tips make up some livelihood. It might improve the "service" industries in this country. I think Australians think the word "serve" is a filthy, five letter word. It's changing, but it still leads to amusing waiters like last night's (to be fair, the guy that eventually brought the food was nice and courteous. Not as funny though).

Well, last day of term today, so I will have the wee bairns at home for the next two weeks. Should be fun. Yet, I envisage my writing "procrastination" is likely to continue... :-D

5 Comments:

At 8:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, interestingly, I am having a couple of "relationships" problems at work where I think I am not getting across to certain people nor are they giving me what I expect of them, and I'm becoming increasingly disappointed in them. I've been trying not to think the worse of them but I haven't been optimestic. But I have been hoping (and praying) for things to improve.


>> but I think we should start to introduce an almost US-system where wages are frozen as they are and tips make up some livelihood. It might improve the "service" industries in this country

No culture in tipping here either, we have a service charge. But our food people are generally nice. If you don't like the service, you can refuse to pay the service charge or even the entire bill. Service might improve with the US system but life gets much harder for them.

- Liz

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger Tessa said...

Nuh uh. When I visited the States, the constant smiling service spun me out. I'd rather be left alone to chat.

Then I saw a poster by the toilets stating the wage laws for hospitality in New Orleans. $2.70 an hour, and the employer only HAS to pay $1.60, the rest has to be made up in tips.

They're begging for their money, and that made me feel dirty. I don't want that here. Waiting is already a shitty job.

 
At 10:11 am, Blogger Heather said...

I've waited as well, and one of the things that used to annoy me was that you'd never get rewarded for good service, because tipping isn't the thing here.

But I'm not suggesting that tips should be the only (or even half) a waiter's income. Waiters get paid pretty well (as I said, a living wage) here, and service charges are usually only applied for public holidays and, in some places, weekends. Not paying the bill, for whatever reason, isn't a part of our culture either (it leads to a fuss -- something australians avoid like the plague -- and usually the manager just calls the police). I'm just thinking that tipping as a reward is a Good Thing.

But I'm not so committed to that opinion that I'd argue for it, if that makes sense. I'm like "whatever." :-D

 
At 8:20 am, Blogger Heather said...

*blushes* :-D

Trouble? I don't recall any trouble.... :-)

 
At 8:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris! :) I've been lurking around.

>> I'v always liked you know matter what trouble i'v given you.

What, that one little misunderstanding we had? I'm sorry about that time too. You're a good guy, Chris. :)

- Liz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home