Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Curse of the Little Thunder Bunnies

Right.

Anyone who knows me well knows that the (main) reason I've been offline for so long is because my computer's motherboard died. What I haven't mentioned before (even in the excruciatingly long and boring email I sent out to people with my computer-related woes on it) was that the reason I wasn't able to fix the non-functioning fan problem that caused my mother board to overheat and fry itself was that my washing machine ceased to function.

It would, you know, fill up with water, and drain water but the spin was gone. Of course, I didn't find this out until I'd tried to wash a full load, and that meant handwashing and rinsing the humoungous load I'd tried to wash, but that's another story.

You can imagine what it would be like in my house without a washing machine. As it was, I had to wait for it for a week while I got the funds together, because, of course, this is pre-actually-got-my-money-property settlement.

I had to prioritise.

So the computer was sacrificed on the altar of making sure the kids had their school uniforms.

While I was waiting for my property settlement, and therefore, my new computer, my still-under-warranty jug ceased to function. This is a Bad Thing. No jug = no coffee, until I bought one of those little milk saucepans to boil water on the stove. It was cheaper than fixing the jug.

Come to think of it, buying a new jug was cheaper than fixing the jug. Which is what I did, as soon as I could.

So, then my funds came though and I bought my new computer.

A week later, my home phone ceased to work properly. The line was okay, but, while people could hear me just fine, I couldn't hear them approximately half the time. This led to a couple of interesting calls from my mobile to my children (who couldn't hear me), but, again, another story.

No worries, thought I, I've been meaning to get a hand held. So I did.

Then my printer started to play up a couple of weeks ago, not 2 days after the new phones were installed. It didn't die, exactly, but it had moments of definite non-workyness.

While it was deciding what it would do, last week my vacuum cleaner (also less than a year old) carked it. I bought a new one 2 days later (that was last Thursday, I believe).

Yesterday, my printer finally haemorrhaged and was no more. Fortunately, as I'd seen that coming, I do have a brand new printer, which I haven't actually had time to install yet. It's still in its box.

Now, as a signed, sealed and delivered member of the official human race, I do have moments of paranoia. As a result of this, part of me has been wondering if this is, you know, just a little bit personal. An electronically-based conspiracy, out to get little old me.

Of course, I didn't actually believe that.

So. Today, my stereo stopped functioning. Permanently and dramatically.

Well, I guess it's not paranoia if it's really happening, right?

I've decided there's only one thing left for me to do.

I'm putting money aside for a new fridge.

10 Comments:

At 6:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you get a lot of power spikes at your house? If that isn't the case I'd say you definitely have a case of very bad electronic karma.

Maybe it was a bad idea to bash that video machine with a hammer back in the day? Machines tend to be nicer to you when you treat them kindly, much like pets.

Then again, there's nothing more satisfying than whacking an old TV whose soldier joints are starting to go and seeing it start working again.

I'm sure it's not your fault...

Best regards,
Derek

 
At 6:33 pm, Blogger Tessa said...

Eeeeek?

 
At 9:59 pm, Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

Maybe you just happen to have a lot of old electronic things that were burning out anyway.

 
At 7:01 am, Blogger Heather said...

In the case of the stereo, it would have been age. But the washing machine was only 5 years old and the jug and vacuum cleaner (as I said) were still under arranty - ie, less than a year old. I did check for power spikes *grin*

I guess I should stop, you know, shoving paperclips into the power sockets.

;-)

 
At 7:49 am, Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

These days, electronic things don't last as long as they should, not like backwhen, things like that can last ten years.

Are your plugs earthed? (Three prong instead of two)

:)

 
At 6:58 pm, Blogger Nicky Strickland said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:00 pm, Blogger Nicky Strickland said...

You've worked your jug, washing machine & vacuum to death.

So...stop drinking so much coffee and what's with regular vacuuming? (Anyone would think a lot of people live in that house). On the washing machine - how big was it for the number of times & heavy loads you have to get done (ditto on the population *lol*).

:P

(Seriously, if you have a plastic jug, they are not designed for serious at home hot beverage drinkers - I went through 4 in 18 months, and my metal one has been going on since that debacle).

 
At 7:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Give it up and become a hippie.

I've heard there are still a few deserted bits of the Amazon or parts of Antartica that don't run on electricity.

After all, we survived for how long with these misbehaving electrons?

Get back to nature. Besides, who wants to communicate with other people? THEY DON'T KNOW NOTHING, OFFICER.

Seriously though, electrical things die. There are special people who go crawling along the wires looking to find easy prey to hunt.

Paranoia - it's another word for everyday life :)

Have fun,
The Not Covered in Glori :-?

 
At 8:36 pm, Blogger Heather said...

D, you know as well as I do taht i already tried the hippie thing and it didn't stick.

The most amusing thing about this post? The above story is absoultely real, but it's being treated like it's, you know, seeeeerious. ;-)

I like the Thunder Bunnies, myself. Those that'd be the ones crawling along said wires looking for huntery stuff. :-D

 
At 8:26 am, Blogger Nicky Strickland said...

But where are the Dust Bunnies???

Mind you, it could all be *dramatic music*...a brown chicken conspiracy :P

I'm going to go have my Monday coffee hit now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home