Thursday, September 08, 2005

I have a 15 year-old

as of 9.36 am today.

Hoi. That's a little weird, because I remember, like it was yesterday, wanting to be 15 years old.

Several reasons for that:

15 was... actually, is, my favourite number. It has a good vibration to it. I don't know why, I just like the way it look and feels.

My favourite book series was Trixie Belden, girl detective. All the good stuff seemed to start happening when she was 15.

I started Year 10 when I was 15. In Canberra, Year 10 were "top of the high school" (We have pre-school, then Kindy & Yr 1 - Yr 6 as primary school, Yrs 7 - 10 as high school and Yrs 11 & 12 are college, before you hop off to university or work or whatnot. It was a good system. Yrs 11 & 12 were autonomous: if you didn't turn up, well, that was your prerogative, but you also took the consequences, like, say, failing school. You could, theoretically, do really well and never attend a class. There was also a Yr 13 for anyone who got to the end of Yr 12 and regretted never turning up to class and wanted to improve on Yr 12 or repeat it). Top of the highschool is pretty cool. Well, I liked it.

Now, I'm 34 and the mother of a 15 year old. Most of the friends I knew from that self-same high school who have kids are all having them now-ish, or have kids that are similar in age to my 5th & 6th children.

It's a little bizarre, but in a good way. I'm planning on going o/s next year, all going well (btw, look out for my creative travelogue soon), and will, all going well, be able to take my eldest with me. He's old enough to enjoy it and I'm young enough to be able to keep up with him (hehe). I'm actually very fortunate in that respect, teenage rebellion issues aside, I have a 15 year-old who can actually stand to be around me. And his girlfriend likes me too. # 2 son's friends think I'm not like a "real" mum. Apparently I'm, like, too young, man. I'm, uh, not really sure how to take that, but I think it's supposed to be a compliment.

#1 son tried to wrangle a day off from school today, but no go. He has a maths test.

See, I am a real mum. ;-)

Oh, and for those who are keeping track (hi dad!), I took off another kilo this week, after a looong time on plateau (actually, I think I took off a half kilo last week and finished the kilo this week, but whatever). Plateau was good, after taking off so much weight so quickly. Allows for the whole skin reduction thing. Mind you, 6 weeks on a plateau can be a wee bit demoralising, but then, it's not like I'm really noticing.

Much.

Funny thing is, I ate more chocolate this week than I have in the past 3 months, which is not to say a whole lot, because I actually only eat chocolate in a serious way once a month. But still. So, 12 down, 25-ish to go. Hoi, that's almost a third of the way. Coolish. :-D

Bad thing is, I bought a new pair of jeans after dropping the last lot and they're now too big. And look it. Sigh.

Oh, and I'm taking up swordfighting (mediaeval) again soon, now my chiro's happy with my pelvis and T1 actually staying in one place for more than five minutes.... I'm down to 2-week visits and in a little over a month she's fixed my PMT and headaches, as well as some minor damage done to my arm when my ex slammed it in a door 2 years ago (it was causing some numbness in the right wrist that I was so used to I hardly noticed) and I can now sit for more than 5 minutes without getting a sore back, so I'm all good. Yay!

I just hope I haven't forgotten, you know, everything I once knew. Mind you, I was doing 15-16th c sidesword and I'm now doing the era I'm really interested in (300-odd years earlier, more crashNbash than finesse, really), so it's back to the basics for me. She's a little reluctant to give me the OK to go back to the horses, though. Can't think why hehe. I mean, it's not like I actually intend to fall off and ruin all her good work. ;-)

Anyway, must dash. I have a cake to make.

3 Comments:

At 8:46 am, Blogger Heather said...

If you really feel that way, Curi, my suggestion is to wait a year. 17 years is a shitty age, sometimes. It was for me... I can say with absolute authority that it was nigh on the worst year of my life.

But it does get better. No, really. Don't deny yourself the chance to find that out.

 
At 9:10 am, Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

>> # 2 son's friends think I'm not like a "real" mum.

That's what my friends say about my mother too. She's a young mother like you. When my mum was 34, I was about 13 or 14. These days it's common for mothers to be older-generation-like, cool modern mums like you and my mother are still rare. And since women tend to marry late, people here are surprised that my mum has a 30 year old daughter. Plus, she doesn't look her age at all.

To your oldest, pls tell him I wish him a happy birthday.

 
At 9:18 pm, Blogger Heather said...

He said to say Thankyou, Liz. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home