Friday, September 02, 2005

The continuing stooooory

Hoi. Will the soap opera never stop?

The last time I said anything about my divorce situation, iirc, I said it was pretty much a done deal, property and kid issues. The ex had finally agreed to something, his lawyer had sent over preliminary paperwork, my solicitor got the court documents drawn up, I've signed them and all was good, right?

Nope. I should have known something would go silly.

He won't sign them. Apparently the children's issues are not what "we agreed".

I'm stumped. My solicitor's stumped. See, we didn't change the wording of what his solicitor sent to us. Not a single word. I think a paragraph was added that is required by law, which basically amounts to nothing different except that I authorise the schools to send information re the kids to their father, but apart from that. His solicitor should know a standard clause when she sees it.

Of course, yesterday, my solicitor's been trying to find out exactly what the problem is, and his solicitor wouldn't talk to her. Again. Although, apparently that was our fault. See, we sent the paperwork over on the 19th of last month. The ex claimed, as of the 28th, that he hadn't seen it. Then, on the 31st, there were several phone calls to my solicitor, whcih she couldn't take, being in court and physically not in the office. She tries to return the phone call on the 1st, and it's "too late". Never mind that the ex's solicitor will refuse to take or answer phone calls for three weeks at a time.

My lawyer, who is an expert in family law to the point she teaches it as well, has never seen anything like it. See, Australian family law isn't supposed to be combative. And more to the point, there's nothing to be combative about... the man's losing out for every moment this isn't settled, and if it goes to a judge the courts will certainly not be as generous to the ex as I've been -- and his solicitor should know it. I, on the other hand, am not, not in a true sense, except for that thing about not getting it final in my head. I've been divorced for six months and separated for two and a half years and I still don't feel like I can move on properly, mentally anyway.

I guess that's the point, eh.

I think I shall get annoyed for a moment. Right now.

Right. Done. Truly, I couldn't be bothered. The best I can manage is to roll my eyes and go "figures". Not like this wasn't expected. Not this exact circumstances, that's stumped me, but I knew there'd be something. There usually is.

Must admit, I'm very, very tempted to pull the plug and suggest he take the whole shebang to court. He'll lose. If this isn't sorted out today, I just might. Who knows, maybe that's what the universe is trying to tell me to do. Not my lesson this time: his.

Whatever.

On to world events, and thoughts go out to New Orleans. But I have to say... reports of anarchy, looting and shooting at rescue helicopters? WTF's wrong with that country? Entire coastlines swept away in the tsunamis last year, and no-one tried to kill the rescuers. Canberra, Australia, suburbs burn to the ground a couple of years ago, and people pull together to help each other.

Normally, I can't stand generalisations, but... sheesh.

America. Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home