Friday, May 06, 2005

You Never Expect The Spanish Inquisition

And now for something completely different.

I love surprises. I especially love it when someone I haven't seen in a while drops by unexpectedly and then (even more unexpectedly) keeps ones amused with bat and ball. And didn't the kids love it. I even got the washing off the line before the rain hit. For once. :-D

But have you ever noticed this only ever happens on the one day you've had a terrible couple of days and therefore decided to take an afternoon off instead of doing the requisite cleaning up? Especially when only a day earlier the place was spotless, except for a couple of yet-to-be unpacked boxes?

'Twas good. 'Twas swell. 'Twas brillig. The house is, once again, as clean as I can make it without unpacking said boxes. May even get around to doing that this weekend. Yay. May even find a small lounge. Yay-er.

It could be worse. I was having some severely traumatising 80s moments last night. And under the influence of caffeine overload, at that. Hoi! Nik Kershaw, Van Halen (BADly traumatising!)... if Pat Benatar had come on the radio I would've doen a complete time flash back to when I was 14 or so and... well... the driver of the car I was in would've been more traumatised than I was. And you can make of that whatever you like, Scott. :-P

So, today, after doing the washing and the housework and studiously ignoring the two boxes, I did veggie gardening.

The house has a small veggie garden already pre-dug, with a couple of unhappy capsicum plants and some chinese cabbage-like plants, bok choy or pak choy or something choy, not sure which. Nicky bought me some PLANTS (does the dance of joy and veggieness) when I moved in and I picked up a few more so I now have some neat rows of shallot seedlings and carrots seeds, and a couple of parsley plants and lettuces. (I did say "small", right?). Oh, and I think I threw in a couple of silverbeet seeds, iirc.

I have another very small patch of dirt at the front door which I have thrown in some pavers as "stepping stones" so I can get to the tap without the whole mud thing. It's happily pushing up nasturtium volunteers and some mondo grass at the moment but I've got big plans. Well, little plans (small features again, right?).

Was thinking... a jasmine and gardenia at the front step, throw in some alyssum, keep some of the nasturs, primulas from Nicky and Damon in the shadier spot, sweet peas on the front fence (and a couple of hanging pots, probably with a creeping thyme variety and maybe pansies or something). I'll sow some forget-me-nots but don't much like my chances (not enough winter), have some grape hyacinth bulbs and a pot with 2 varieties of lavender (which hates wet feet, only way of growing it up here is with pot or very raised, well-drained beds and, frankly, the pot is easier. I have one which'll suit already). I'd like a rose but think it would be too much trouble right now, for the same reason. Wet. Black spot. Sigh. Mind you, I think there's a nice David Austin that is immune to black spot and rust, may try it if I can find it... will deifintely if it's pink, I'm missing a touch of deeper pink in that mix. I have a mini rose from my mum that needs potting, but I think I'll put it up on the verandah. Depending on the sweet peas. Should have a rosemary in there too, although I have plans to put one out the back.

A day's work to plant, if that. Cool. And now it's written here, I will have somewhere to come if I forget what I'd wanted to do. :-D

It was calming. Until, of course, I had an insane moment and said "yes" to my daughter for pizza and a movie. Movies. The Karate Kid. And sequels (plural intentional). Whimper. 80s flashbacks. Ralph Macchio. Peter Cetera songs (I suppose it's the wrong time to mention I have the KK soundtrack on LP. Hehe, no.. "This is the time. This is the moment...been waiting so long to see you standing here.... we had a dream, we made it happen..." Oops. Sorry. And KK2 on cassette. Thirteen year-old girl is my excuse, ok??). It's almost enough to make me want to watch Footloose again.

Almost.

1 Comments:

At 7:44 am, Blogger kaJarp said...

Hi

i just found your blog from a long time searching about a song in "karate Kid" with less clue

and i found only one from your blog - this is:

------------
Peter Cetera songs (I suppose it's the wrong time to mention I have the KK soundtrack on LP. Hehe, no.. "This is the time. This is the moment...been waiting so long to see you standing here.... we had a dream, we made it happen..."
------------

could you please give me more info about this song title and etc.?

best regards

 

Post a Comment

<< Home