Monday, August 14, 2006

The weekend

This weekend, I had a busy one.

Friday night was spent in a marathon session trying to decide who would get into the 2007 Clarion South Writer's workshop. We were very pleased with the number and standard of entries this year, but it did make decisions very, very difficult. Saturday morning, we spent time allocating funding. I will post a list once the successful, and more importantly, the unsuccessful applicants have been informed and confirmed.

Saturday night, I took my older boys (teenagers both) to see Miami Vice. I think I shall say, for the record, that I am not a huge Colin Farrel fan. I am a fan of the original series (but not so much that I've bought the DVDs unlike, say, the A-Team). This movie didn't have a start, so to speak, (no opening credits), which was fine in itself but meant for the first half-hour, I was slightly distracted becuase I kept waiting for them. That past, though, it ended up being a fairly mediocre movie with not too much wrong but not too much right, either. Certainly, it was more gritty than the series ever was, which I guess was the point, but some of the comeraderie aspect was missing between the two main characters as a result.

The cinematography style became tiring after a while.

All in all, not a complete waste of time, but I would have preferred to watch The Lake House for a second time.

Had a moment of true amusement during the credits though. A new movie, coming soooon!... ta-da Snakes on a Plane. And it's not a farce. It's a serious movie. Oh. My. Great. Aunt. Laura. What were The Powers That Be thinking when they gave the go-ahead for this? And not as a "made specially only for DVD movie", at that? A definite career-ender for Laurence Fishburn (like the third Matrix wasn't, but that's another post). This movie will be right up there with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes -- without the funny.

Sunday I went to see my mum and her hubby up on the Sunshine Coast with said teenagers. That was great, because I haven't seen them for about 6 months due to varying flus, etc.

So, busy.

Book update: I haven't written anything specifically for the book's text, as yet, however, I have spent a lot of time printing out and re-organising everything that I had done so far so I could do the required homework tasks and get everythign clear in my head once more. And there is a lot of it. I didn't realise how much, even after I'd amalgamated some files. I did about a million words before I even started, I think. Good news is, I found some plot point ideas I'd forgotten about - and they may even work.

I also spent some time doing some reading and note-taking for Project # 2.

Last week was a bit of a write-off, time-wise, though. Tuesday I spent the day at #3's sports - he represented his school trying out for the districts so I was the mum doing some driving back and forth for that. Wednesday I had the preschool excursion; Thursday a meeting and an excursion for #3's class.

This week I should have more time, despite the public holiday on Wednesday (and therefore all kids home) and the pupil-free on Thursday (and therefore... you get the drift).

Today, I have no kids because the ex's public holiday is today not Wednesday so he has the day off and therefore the youngest for the day. And #1 son has work experience. So, unexpected writing time, so I shall go and do that now. As soon as I've done the vacuuming. And I should phone Nicky. :-)

Then I'll write.

4 Comments:

At 7:27 pm, Blogger Nicky Strickland said...

*licks hand & slaps the monitor*

Post! :p

 
At 10:56 pm, Blogger Heather said...

Ye gods, woman. Someone's gotta clean that now.

Pftht :-P

 
At 4:40 pm, Blogger Nicky Strickland said...

What's that word...cleaning???

I guess that means you'll be the one doing it, cause I don't know it :p

 
At 7:08 pm, Blogger Heather said...

Ummm.... yeah. I'm not even going to touch that one, Nic. :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home