Thursday, November 04, 2004

Those historical guys knew how to say "I love you"

Research is my life.

I have that tattoo'd on my forehead (along with "Don't Panic" and "Give me Caffeine NOW". It's crowded up there).

I found a site which has reproduced some olde letters written from gentlemen to their wives. Tell you what... *sigh*

The following was written by a John Hervey, First Earl of Bristol, to his wife Elizabeth.

He was no sap, either. He was a member of parliament for Bury St Edmunds and was created Baron Hervey of Ickworth, and in October 1714 was made earl of Bristol as a reward for his zeal in promoting the principles of the revolution and supporting the Hanoverian succession. Elizabeth was his second wife, and they had ten sons and six daughters.

Anyhooo....

Newmarket, 3 May 1697.

My ever-new delight,

Knowing how kind a welcome all my scribbles meet with where they are addressed, neither heart nor hand can forbear, when any opportunity offers, to tell thee (tho' but the faint images of the former) how much I long to be in the place of this my harbinger, tho' perhaps thou mayest not see it but few hours before my arrival, which by the grace of God shall not be deferred one moment beyond Wednesday night; for all time's worse than lost that's spent where thou art not, thou only relish to all other pleasures. Tis you alone that sweetens life, and makes one wish the wings of time were clipt, which not only seems but really flies away too fast, for those that love (shall I be vain and say) like us; for that instead of breeding a satiety in either, (you see I answer for you boldly,) the common fate of vulgar friendships, does but heighten the vehemence of our desires for a more intimate (if that be possible) and lasting enjoyment of each others conversation and love. Ah! My dear, how I could expiate on this fruitful theme, were it not day-light already, which if thou knewest, I am sure, Pray, my dear, goe to bed, would be your request to, my dearest life, your faithful friend and constant lover.

J Hervey


*sigh* They weren't big on full stops though, eh. :-) "Fruitful theme" indeed...hehe.

But, gee... " 'Tis you alone that sweetens life."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home