Friday, November 05, 2004

Okay, enough already...

with the emails wondering WTH Mr Hervey was saying (see These historical fellers knew how to...etc post). I'll translate. Sheesh. :-P

Right. No guarantee I'll be as poetic as he was.

Original

My ever-new delight,

Knowing how kind a welcome all my scribbles meet with where they are addressed, neither heart nor hand can forbear, when any opportunity offers, to tell thee (tho' but the faint images of the former) how much I long to be in the place of this my harbinger, tho' perhaps thou mayest not see it but few hours before my arrival, which by the grace of God shall not be deferred one moment beyond Wednesday night; for all time's worse than lost that's spent where thou art not, thou only relish to all other pleasures. Tis you alone that sweetens life, and makes one wish the wings of time were clipt, which not only seems but really flies away too fast, for those that love (shall I be vain and say) like us; for that instead of breeding a satiety in either, (you see I answer for you boldly,) the common fate of vulgar friendships, does but heighten the vehemence of our desires for a more intimate (if that be possible) and lasting enjoyment of each others conversation and love. Ah! My dear, how I could expiate on this fruitful theme, were it not day-light already, which if thou knewest, I am sure, Pray, my dear, goe to bed, would be your request to, my dearest life, your faithful friend and constant lover.

J Hervey


My (inept) Translation:

Hey spunky,

Given that you really love my letters, thought I'd pen you another: couldn't resist telling you yet again, how much I'd rather be there in person. Mind you, the letter will probably only beat me home by a coupla hours... hopefully that'll be by Wednesday, for I'd rather be with you than wasting my time doing anything else. For only you makes my life sweet, and makes me wish time wouldn't pass so quickly when I'm with you. For those that love like we do (right?) can spend all our time making love and all it does is make us want each other's conversation and love more (sorry to speak for you but I figure you like it as much as I do; you're enthuastic enough). Anyhow, I'd say more, hunny bunny, but I haveta go. Go right to bed and wish me with you darl', I am ever yours in friendship and love,

J. Hervey, rolling in my grave even as we speak.


Satisfied?

hehe. 'Scuse the pun.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home