Monday, October 04, 2004

What Annoys Me Lately, Part II

I went off so far yesterday that I didn't have time for my second annoyance, sorry.

Just a quick one. School starts again today, so guess who's resuming taxi duties?

Annoyance # 2:

I have had my driver's licence for around 16 years but I still can't reverse park.

Just to clarify. In some places it's called a reverse park (because you back in), and in some cases a parallel park (because you park parallel to the kerb). I don't mean a simple "rear to kerb" situation. I mean...

I'll try a diagram. Just to make sure you all know it's the Really Hard parking I'm talking about here. To curb any comments about my lack of kerbside ability. Heh.

----

car

----



----

car

----

See that empty space between the two cars? I couldn't park in one of those if you held a gun to my head. I will drive around in circles for ages until I find one I can either drive straight into or even put off until another day what I'm there for.

Stupid.

I could say in my defence that I drive a minivan, but the truth is that it wouldn't matter if I were driving a Mini, I still wouldn't be able to reverse into that parallel space.

I did it once, in my driving lesson just before my driving test. That was, as I've mentioned, 16 years ago. Haven't been able to do it since. And I have tried.

Thing is, no one's been able to explain to my satisfaction how it's done. If someone could sit next to me and say, "Ok, now, you back up until you're lined up here, yup, now turn the wheel until you get to here, yeah, that'll do it. Great, now just turn the wheel this way until you're--watch the kerb--there you go. See? Not so hard, is it?" then I'd probably get it.

And the first person who tells me to go and get a lesson from an instructor can kiss my... kerb.

Oh, and Canterbury won. Thought they might. :-D

1 Comments:

At 7:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought nobody could reverse-parallel park. Those spaces only get filled up when someone can drive straight into them. That's why you always see that pattern you've illustrated there.

Stu.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home